Advanced syllabus changes
This page describes the changes made to the Advanced syllabus for the Spring 2018 exam.
The following readings were added:
- GHA‐119‐18, pages 3-11 – Physician Remuneration Options
- GHA‐120‐18 – Avoiding Unintended Consequences in ACO Payment Model
- Duncan chapter 11 – The Use of Propensity Scoring in Program Evaluation (which was just removed from the syllabus last year)
- ASOP #23 – Data Quality (which is now on Core, Advanced, and Specialty)
- ASOP #41 – Actuarial Communications (which is now on Core, Advanced, and Specialty)
- Claim Reserve Model: How Actuaries Rely Upon the Claim Data They Use, from the Long-Term Care News (which is also on the Specialty syllabus)
- GHA-121-18 – Assuris for Group Insurance in Canada
- Level Funding: An Alternative to the ACA for Small Groups
- A Practical Approach to Assigning Credibility for Group Medical Insurance Pricing
A few readings were slightly modified:
- ASOP #5 has been updated in the past year
- Provider Payment Arrangements, Provider Risk, and Their Relationship with the Cost of Health Care – the pages included in this reading are changing from “pages 1-50” to all pages “excluding appendices.” All this change does is add a 4-page glossary of abbreviations and terms at the front of the document.
- A couple readings that were in the study note package are now available only by getting the Individual Health Insurance textbook (by Leida). The material itself is not changing. The only change is where you get the material from. Those readings are: (1) GHA-116-16, pages 83-123 was changed to Leida chapter 4, pages 109-148 and (2) GHA-115-16 was changed to Leida chapter 6.
And a few readings were removed:
- Kongstvedt chapter 9 – Physician Practice Behavior and Managed Health Care
- Duncan chapter 16, exc. appendix 16.1 – Testing Actuarial Methods for Evaluating DM Savings Outcomes
- GHA-117-17 – A Guide to Measuring the Triple Aim: Population Health, Experience of Care, and Per Capita Cost (which is a fairly lengthy study note that was just added last year)
Just like last year, there will be a case study. We will have to wait for it to be released to know if it will change for this season.