Specialty syllabus changes
This page describes the changes made to the Specialty syllabus for the Fall 2018 exam.
The following readings were added to the syllabus:
- GHS-121-18 – Enterprise Risk Management, Ratings Direct
- GHS-122-18 – Why are Many Co-Ops Failing?
- GHS-123-18 – Enterprise Risk Management: Parts One, Two, and Three
- ASOP #47 – Risk Treatment in Enterprise Risk Management
- Embedded Value: Practice and Theory – this is fairly lengthy and detailed reading on embedded value, including various formulas. It will service as a replacement for the embedded value study notes that are being removed. But it differs considerably from those study notes in terms of the formulas presented.
- GHS-124-18 – 2015 Embedded Value Report for Manulife’s Insurance and Other Wealth Business – this study note serves as an example of what a company’s embedded value report can look like
- Chapter 21 of Healthcare Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling by Duncan – Risk Adjustment on the ACA Exchanges
- Chapter 22, sections 22.1-22.5, of Healthcare Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling by Duncan – Accountable Care Organizations
The following readings were updated for this season:
- GHS-114-18 – Disability Income Insurance: The Unique Risk, chapters 16 and 19. This study note was updated by removing chapter 18 and using a new version of the textbook for the chapters that remain (16 and 19).
- There is a new edition for the textbook Financial Enterprise Risk Management by Sweeting. Chapters 7, 8, and 18 remain on the syllabus from last year, but were updated in this new edition.
- There is a new edition for the textbook Healthcare Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling by Duncan. Chapters 4, 5, 6, 13, and 14 remain on the syllabus from last year, but were updated in this new edition.
- GHS-120-17, chapter 4 – HHS-Operated Risk Adjustment Methodology Meeting Discussion Paper. This study note was added last year. But parts of chapter 4 were excluded at that time. The entire chapter is now on the syllabus.
And the following readings were removed. These accounted for about 30% of the syllabus last season:
- Chapter 11, sections 11.4-11.6, of Individual Health Insurance by Leida – Managing the Business
- GHS-114-14 – Disability Income Insurance: The Unique Risk, chapter 18 (chapters 16 and 19 remain on the syllabus)
- Combo Long-Term Care Products: A Solution to Address Market Needs
- Quantification of the Natural Hedge Characteristics of Combo Life or Annuity Products Linked to LTCI, pages 9-26
- Claim Reserve Model: How Actuaries Rely Upon the Claim Data They Use
- Chapter 42 of Group Insurance by Skwire – Enterprise Risk Management for Group Health Insurers
- Chapter 1 of Financial Enterprise Risk Management by Sweeting – An Introduction to Enterprise Risk Management
- GHS-115-15 – Health Enterprise Risk Management Study Note – Introduction
- A Health Insurance Insolvency Case Study
- Taking a Closer Look at Enterprise Risk Management
- Considerations for Surplus Determination under ACA
- GHS-109-14 – The Actuary and Health Insurance Mergers and Acquisitions
- GHS-111-14 – Components of Insurance Firm Value and the Present Value of Liabilities
- GHS-112-14 – Simple Embedded Value Example
- GHS-113-14 – Embedded Value of Canadian Group Insurance
- Embedded Value Calculation for a Life Insurance Company
- Chapter 2 of Healthcare Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling by Duncan – Models for Predicting Health Costs
- Chapter 7, excluding appendix, of Healthcare Risk Adjustment and Predictive Modeling by Duncan – Introduction to Modeling